Het Oudtestamentisch Werkgezelschap (The Osciety for the Study of the Old Testament) was founded on June 1st 1939 at Leiden by Prof.dr. P.A.H. de Boer and
Th.C. Vriezen (from 1941 on professor at Groningen, from 1956 at Utrecht University). The Society met for the first time on January 4th 1940 at the house of Prof. De Boer. Present were the following persons, invited by De Boer and Vriezen:
G.J. Thierry, C. van Arendonk,
J. de Groot,
A. de Buck, J. Simons, S.J., M. David,
B. Alfrink en
M.A. Beek. In the recent past the OTW counted about 90 members and 20 former members, most of them living and working in the Netherlands and in Belgium, a few also in Germany, France and England. The committee of the OTW consists of a president and a secretary, who are appointed for three years.